Linda McCartney’s Shortcrust Pastry
1 ½ Cups flour
2 t baking powder
pinch of salt
6 T butter
3 T cold water
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and drop into flour mixture.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until it has reached the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle very cold water over the mixture, and mix with a wooden spoon to form a ball. Add a sprinkle more cold water if needed.
- Lightly flour the counter and a rolling pin, and roll dough into a thin circle.
- Place in a lightly greased pie pan, leaving some overhanging, which can be trimmed off with a knife.
Chocolate pecan pie
Preheat oven to 350°
1 C sugar 4T cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten 1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 t vanilla 1 – 6 oz. package of Chocolate chips (I used mini-ones and they worked out better than bigger ones.)
1 C chopped nuts (I used pecans and broke them by hand rather than chopping them in small pieces.)
1 – 9” unbaked pastry pie shell
whipped cream for topping
- Combine sugar & cornstarch in a bowl
- Beat in eggs.
- Mix in butter, vanilla, chips, and pecans
- Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 350° for 40 min. or until puffy and lightly browned.
- Cool pie completely and cut into slim wedges.
Derby whipped cream:
Beat 1/2C heavy cream, with 2 T of confectioners sugar to soft peaks. Add ½ t vanilla & beat to stiff peaks.
(I, however, just whip up the whipping cream, adding nothing to it.)