Brown Sugar Toffee Cake
The secret to success with this lighter version of a brown sugar pound cake is having all the ingredients at room temperature and beating the batter 2 to 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Service with vanilla ice cream.
1 ½ Cups of all-purpose flour
¼ t baking soda
1/8 t baking powder
1/8 t salt
6 T butter, softened
1 C dark brown sugar
½ C sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
¼ C cold strong coffee
1 t vanilla extract
½ C plain fat-free yogurt, at room temperature*
3 milk chocolate-toffee bars, such a Heath brand**
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Coat a 9” round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and sugar with electric mixer until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time and then beat in coffee and vanilla extract. Add ¼ C yogurt, and beat until smooth. Add half the flour mix and beat until smooth. Beat in remaining ¼ C yogurt, then remaining flour mixture. Beat 2 to 3 minutes until very smooth and creamy.
- Spread batter in prepared cake pan and bake 35 to 40 min, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan.
- Meanwhile, pulse milk chocolate toffee bars in food processor 8 times or until crushed into bits. Some will be larger than others, but that’s okay. Unmold cake from pan and set on wire rack. Sprinkle chocolate-toffee bits on top of cake while it’s hot. Cool completely before serving.
* I used whole milk plain yogurt in my version as it’s all I had. **I couldn’t find Heath candy bars so I used 2 large bars of very expensive Belgian chocolate, toffee almond milk chocolate. I can’t remember the brand but it’s the one with x’s and o’s on the wrapper. My husband said that I had to freeze it quickly so he wouldn’t eat it all in one sitting. I gave a piece to my son and his girlfriend. My son said it was the best cake he’s ever had, his new favorite.
Update – made this today 6.21.2012. I used zero fat Greek Yogurt and Heath bars, this time. Also, I made my own brown sugar by adding blackstrap unsulphured molasses to organic sugar.